Blood Borne Virus (BBV) Testing
The early detection of Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV is essential to improve patient outcomes and prevent disease transmission. Screening for these viruses is promoted in many settings including antenatal clinics, substance misuses services, sexual health clinics and prisons.
For example the rapid turnover of prisoners requires a simple and convenient approach to screen quickly with minimal risks of sharp injuries. Conventional screening with venepuncture is simply not viable in these situations. Organisations such as Public Health England, NHS England the National Offender Management Service recommend adopting dried blood spot testing to improve update of screening in secure units. We offer dried blood spot testing which is beneficial for patients where venepuncture is not possible. We provide kits, analysis of samples and reporting across a number of Hepatitis C Operational Delivery Networks, Prisons and Substance Misuse Services.
We have supported successful High Intensity Testing and Treatment (HITT) drives in numerous prisons in support of the World Health Organisation’s commitment to eliminate Hepatitis C by 2025.
Who We Are
Our Serology Laboratory is part of our large Clinical Microbiology Department at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. We offer comprehensive services to a wide range of clients. Our UKAS accredited laboratory services are overseen by experienced Consultant Microbiologists.
Blood Borne Virus Screening
- We have developed services for those needing screening for blood borne viruses including high risk enclosed communities across the UK.
- We test for the major blood borne viruses; HIV and Hepatitis B and C.
- Clear interpretation is offered with consultant support available.
Our Blood Spot Technology
- We provide a kit which includes everything you need to take a sample and return it to us.
- Our in-house design of blood spot device allows you take the sample and immediately send it by first class post to our laboratory.
- The turnaround time is 2 - 3 working days.
- Electronic reporting means that we can provide rapid results.
Ordering Test Kits
- You can order test kits by telephone or email
- Test packs are individually wrapped and contain everything you need to take a sample
Why Sheffield Laboratory Medicine?
We believe that following transition of services from your existing provider we will:
- Ensure that there is a consistent and affordable provision of self-testing kits available;
- Ensure robust and secure information channels for the notification of results in a timely manner;
- Provide ongoing support before, during and after the testing process;
- Future proof the service to support future growth of work;
- Ensure a high quality and robust analytical service;
- Provide flexibility to meet changing service demands;
- Provide coverage on a national geographic basis.
If you would like to know more about how we can help you, please contact us by telephone on 0114 226 7666 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.